- FMarch 13, Speaker--Bob Raynolds, Research Associate, Denver Museum of Nature and Science, "Colorado’s energy resources in a stratigraphic context"
- February 20, Speaker--Marisa Connors
Quality Control Manager, Peak Ready Mix
“From Jurassic Shales to Man-Made Rocks: Life After CMU!”
- January 23, 2-Speakers--
1. GJGS member Rex Cole will review his recent work on the basalts of Grand Mesa.
2. GJGS member Bill Hood will discuss the involvement of the CMU Geology Program’s X-ray lab in the identification of cremation remains for the FBI.
- December 12, Speaker--Rob Gay, Paleontologist for Colorado Canyons Association - Grand Junction, Colorado--“Fossils in Colorado’s National Conservation Areas”
- Novermber 14, Speaker -- John Hodge, GJGS Member “Quaternary fluvial history of the Cactus Park and lower Kelso Gulch areas, Delta County, Colorado”
- OCTOBER 17, Speaker---Greg B. Arehart, Professor
Department of Geological Sciences and Engineering University of Nevada - Reno
“The new gold rush: Carlin-type deposits in the Great Basin and beyond”
- September 19, 2018, Speaker -- Dave Beling, CEO & President Bullfrog Gold Corp. "Overview of the Bullfrog Mining District of Nevada"
- May 16, 2018, Speakers -- Micheael A. Rynearson, P.E. VP of Operations, and Nathan Cumella, Geologisit, both at Caerus Oil and Gas, Denver " The evelution of Caerus as an Operator in the Piceace Basein as to the Williams Fork Formation, From Gas to Takeaway Market Avenues in the Piceance Basin"
- April 25, 2018..Annual Student Forum. Multiple presenters
- March 7, 2018, Speaker---Dr. Thomas Ewing, AAPG Distinguished Lecturer, "Tectonics and Subsidence in the West Texas (Permian) Basin. A Model for Complex Intracratonic Basin Development"
- February 14, 2018, Speaker---Dr. Marsha W. French, AAPG Distinguished Lecturer, Colorado School of Mines "Authigenic Quartz: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Developing a Model for Preservation Porosity in Deep, Hot Sandstone Reservoirs"
- January 17, 2018,Speaker---Dr. Gigi Richard, Director, Hutchins Water Center, CMU " Monitoring Snowmelt on the Grand Mesa and Channel Changes on the Colorado River"
- December 13, 2017,Speaker---Donald E. Ranta, Former President and CEO of Rare Elements Resources ---"An Explorationist's Odyssey Folowing Trends: From Molybdenum to Gold to Rare Earths"
- November 15, 2017, Speaker--CHARLES F. HEAD, Burlington Resources and ConocoPhillips (Retired)---“INSIGHTS INTO THE PETROLEUM GEOLOGY AND STRATIGRAPHY OF THE DAKOTA INTERVAL (CRETACEOUS) IN THE SAN JUAN BASIN, NORTHWESTERN NEW MEXICO AND SOUTHWESTERN COLORADO”
- October 18, 2017, Speaker---Ned Sterne, Citizen Scientist and Consulting Geologist---“A Restorable, Crustal -Scale Cross Section Across The Colorado Rocky Mountans Following I-70”.
- September 20, 2017, Speaker---Andres Aslan, Geology Professor, CMU---“Late Cenozoic Uplift and Landscape Evolution of the western US”
- May 17, 2017, Speaker---Harvey R. DuChen, Lake City, Colorado Karst Waters Institute---“Tectonic influences on Petroleum Migration and Speleogenesis in the Guadalupe Mountains, New Mexico and Texas”
- April 26, 2017, Annual CMU Student Research Symposium
- March 15, 2017, Speaker --- Dr. David Noe, Retired Geologist
“The Earth Beneath Our Feet, Sharing the Geology of the North Fork Valley With It's Populace”
- February 15, 2017, Speaker --- Rex Cole, CMU, Geosciences “Geochemical Variation of Grand Mesa Volcanic Field, Western Colorado”
- January. 18, 2017, Speaker --- Cassandra Fenton, Instructor CMU Geosciences, "The SPICE Project: Preliminary Cosmogenic Nuclide Production Rates In Quartz Calibrated At The ~70 KA SP Lava Flow, AZ, USA"
- December, 14, 2016, Speaker --- David Holmes, Industrial Minerals Consultant, "Rare Earths in America: What History Tells"
- November, 16 2016, Speakers --- R. Livaccari, A. Trumbo, M. Feil and V. Johnson, "Laramide Structure of the Northern Uncompahgre Plateau and Origin of Unaweep Canyon, Western Colorado"
- October 19, 2016, Speaker Ed Baltzer, Avant Envrionmental "Evidence for Quaternary Lakes, Western Colorado adn Eastern Utah"
- September 21, 2016, Speaker --- Joe Fandrich, "Westwater, Utah - A Present Day Ice-Dammed Lake: A Key to the Future"
- January 20, 2016 Speaker -- Donald R. Metzler -- Moab Federal Project Director, US DOE, " Cleanup of Uranioum Legacy in Southeastern Utah"
- February 17, 2016 Speakers -- Dr. Verner Johnson, Professor & Adam Trumbo, Senior Geology Student, Colorado Mesa University, " Preliminary Geophysical, Structural and Geochemical Investigations of the Uncompahgre Plateau in Relation to the Tectonic Implications for the Formation of Unaweep Canyon"
- March 16, 2016 Speaker -- Justin Peterson, PE, Regional Engineer for Intermountain West GeoStabilization Intl., " Emergency Repair of a Failing Mechanically Stabilised Earth Wall Utilizing Hollow Bar Soil Nails and Compaction Grouting (38 Road Slope Failure)"
- April, 2016 Meeting, Thursday April 7, 7:30 PM, Saccomanno Lecture Hall, CMU Campus, AAPG Distinguished Lecturer -- David A. Ferrill, Director of Earth Material and Planetary Sciences, Southwest Research Institute, San Antonio, Texas -- "Mechanical Stratigraphy and Normal Faulting"
- April, 2016 Annual Student Showcase, Wednesday April 27.
- January 21, 2015 Speaker -AAPG Distinguished Lecturer --Don Clark -- Hydraulic Fracturing and Earthquakes
- February 18, 2015 Speaker - Douglas Underhill,-Analysis of the supply and demand for uranium with reference to deposit-type geology
- March 18, 2015 Speaker - Dr. Julia McHugh, Curator of Paleontology, Dinosaur Journey, - The Permo-Triassic Mass Extinction, An Amphibian Success Story"
- April 15, 2015,- Dr. Joanie Kleypas, "Ocean Acidification and Coral Reefs, Geological Perspectives Froma a Coral Reef Ecologist" (rescheduled to September)
- May 20, 2015 Lance Erdman and Shawn Burns, "Recent Advances in Oil and Gas Completions"
- Sepetmber 16, 2015- Dr. Joanie Kleypas, "Ocean Acidification and Coral Reefs, Geological Perspectives Froma a Coral Reef Ecologist"
- October 21, 2015 - Robert Gaston of GDI, "The Discovery of Gastonia and Dinosaur Skeleton Restoration"
- November 18, 2015 - Lauren Foster, "Energy Budget Changes Impact Arid Mountain Hydrology More than Snow-Rain Transitions"
- December 16, 2015
- January 22, 2014 Speaker - Vince Matthews -- Rio Grande Rift
- February 19, 2014 Speaker - Jerry Daub -- Colorado Oil Shale - Piceance Basin: A "World Class" Resource
- March 19, 2014 Speaker - Douglas Sprinkel --Terrace Gravel implications for capture of Green River
- April 16, 2014 Speaker - Fred Mark -- Hunting, Fishing, Eco-Tourism and Unconventional Gas Production on the Vermejo Park Ranch, Raton Basin, New Mexico
- April 30, 2014 CMU Student Poster Session with CASH PRIZES for top 3 posters
- May 21, 2014 Speaker - Joe Fandrich -- Evidence of tsunamis in the Hoskannini Fm., Utah
- May 22, 2014 FIELD TRIP to Hoskannini Fm. outcrops lead by Joe Fandrich
- September 10 Special Lecture: Rex Cole -- Geologic Overview of the West Salt Creek Landslide
- September 17, 2014 Speaker -- Dr. Alexis Navarre Sitchier -- Geolchemical Controls on Water Chemistry In Perennial Tributaries to the Colorado River, Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona
- October 15, 2014 Speaker -- Dr. Joel Pederson -- New Results on the Rates and Patterns of Active Salt Deformation, Canyonlands, Utah
- October 27, 2014 AAPG Distinguished Lecturer -- Dr. Juergen Scheiber, Indian Univ. -- An Overview of Experimental Mudstone Sedimentology- Results of Experiments and Applications to the Rock Record.
- November 19, 2014 Speaker -- Dr. Allen Stork, Western Colorado State Univ. -- Paleogene Topography of the Gunnison Basin
- December 17, 2014 Speaker --Ed Baltzer-GJGS President -- Measuring and Dating Fault Displacements on the Lemhi Fault, Idaho.
Grand Junction Geological Society